One day last week, I was having my daily talk with my best friend who mentioned she was making sun tea.
I love sun tea!
I happened to have a bowl of homegrown peaches that my father in law had dropped off that morning. They were almost too ripe and needed to be used so I had been trying to figure out something easy to make.
Since we were in the middle of a heat wave and it was 106, using the oven was not an option. This meant the traditional peach recipes were out the window. No warm peach pie or crispy cobbler with vanilla ice cream. But then a moment of genius struck.
Peach Sun tea!
When I make tea or any type of sweetened drink, I make a simple syrup.
Simple syrup is just even parts sugar and water, heated until the sugar dissolves and then cooled. It is a great way of making sure you don’t end up with un-dissolved sugar in your drinks.
For this I decided to try the same simple syrup, but with fresh peaches added in.
To do that, I roughly chopped the peaches off of the pit (leaving the skin and all) and added it to the sugar-water while it heated. Once it came to a boil and the sugar was all dissolved, I covered the pan with a lid and let it sit while I prepared the tea. When it’s done you have 2 cups of peachy pink simple syrup.
For the tea, I fill a large glass drink dispenser (you can use any glass drink pitcher or container that you have) with water and leave enough room to add the simple syrup (about 2 cups). To this I add 8 Lipton Black tea bags. Cover and find a bright sunny spot to steep your tea.
Once you find the perfect spot, just leave your tea and let the sun do the rest.
I like to make sun tea early in the day and let it steep while I do house work. When I’m done, I have a big pitcher of delicious tea to cool off with.
Once your ready, bring your pitcher inside. Your tea should be nice and dark.
Before serving, I add in the simple syrup and stir. I serve it over a tall glass full of Ice. I leave the drink dispenser in the fridge to get cold, and serve it straight from there.
Sun Tea is the perfect refreshing drink for hot summer days and the sweet peaches gave it an even sweeter summer-time kick.
Peach Sun Tea
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 1+hrs
(depending on strength of tea desired)
What you’ll need:
- Glass pitcher or dispenser
- Sauce pan with lid
- 1 gallon + 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 peaches (pitted and roughly chopped)
- 8 Lipton Black Tea bags (could also use green tea)
- A bright sunny spot free of pests
Peach Simple syrup
- Add 1c water and sugar to sauce pan over low heat.
- Roughly chop fresh peaches, remove pits and add to sauce pan.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover and remove from heat.
- Steep for 30min – 1hr (longer for stronger peach flavor)
- Strain and store until ready to use
- Fill up pitcher or drink dispenser with water (leave room for simple syrup)
- Add tea bags
- Place in sunny spot until desired strength is reached
- Add in peach simple syrup and stir.
- Serve over ice
- Store in the refrigerator.
Garnish with fresh mint or basil for an added taste of summer.